The Women's Initiative celebrates the power of women to bring about positive change in our community through philanthropy and service. Our vision is to provide opportunities for women of all ages and backgrounds to invest their time, talents, and treasures to:
- Increase women's awareness of Middlesex United Way;
- Promote and increase philanthropic giving to United Way;
- Increase participation of women in volunteering;
- Raise awareness of the resources that women bring to the community; and
- Promote and recognize women's accomplishments.
We focus our time and talents strengthening three different areas affecting the lives of women and children in Middlesex County:
- Childhood Development- parents and children have the resources they need for children's healthy development;
- Empowering Women- women have the resources and support they need to make healthy choices; and
- Financial Stability- women of all ages have the education and resources to be independent and self-sufficient.
Our Fund Distribution
The Women's Initiative is pleased to make available small, one-time grants to eligible local organizations that support one or more of our focus areas (see our goals above). Applications are reviewed by the WI Leadership Council on an ongoing basis.
To apply for funding, please download and carefully review the following materials:
- Middletown Schools Discovery Grant ($1,000)
- Middlesex County Coalition for Housing and Homelessness, Homelessness Prevention Project ($1,000)
- Reach Out And Read ($1,000)
- Middlesex Hospital Community Garden Club Partnership ($1,000)
- Young Leaders Society of Middlesex United Way, Stuff a Cruiser Toy Drive ($250)
- Middletown Thanksgiving Project ($250)
- Children’s Law Center Legal Representation in Middlesex County ($1,000)
- Hallie House – part of The Connection through the Middletown Emblem Club #452 ($500)
- St. Vincent DePaul Warming Center ($200)
- Simply Sharing ($2,000)
- Before and After School Recreation Enrichment Program (BASREP) of Durham & Middlefield, CT ($1,000)
- Warm the Children through the Kiwanis Foundation of Middletown ($2,000)
- Girl Scouts of CT Campership Program ($1,000)
- Middlesex YMCA for My Time Camp Ingersoll Youth Scholarships ($1,200)
We Invite You to Join Us!
If you would like to learn more or be added to the list, contact Marisa Fede at Middlesex United Way.
Annual membership is just $35 and helps support our work.