The Steering Committee consists of a diverse group of volunteers who:
- Support the mission, vision and strategic direction of the Young Leaders Society and Middlesex United Way
- Participate in the planning of monthly networking, leadership and volunteer events
- Set structure and strategic planning for the Young Leaders Society
- Serve as ambassadors in the community for the Young Leaders Society and Middlesex United Way
- Meet monthly as a group and participate in activities between meetings
Steering Committee Members:
Meghan Slater, Chair, Wright-Pierce
Kelly McDermott, Vice Chair, Middletown Resident/Wallingford Housing Authority
Kara Pedersen, Communications Liasion, Liberty Bank Foundation
Justin Carbonella, Middletown Youth Services Bureau
Daniel Finn, New York Life Insurance Company
Eric Kane, TD Bank
Amanda Knight, Middlesex Hospital
Will Mackie, Innovative Fitness & Wellness
Toral Maher, Liberty Bank Foundation
Diana Martinez, Wesleyan University
Sagar Parekh, Seeds Business Incubator
Joe Santaniello, Attention to Detail/Wireless Zone
Shaun Staples, Paychex
Dave Vandal, Brown & Brown Insurance
Rick Waterman, L.H. Brenner Insurance
Amanda Furlong, Middlesex United Way staff
Meg Slater is Co-Chair of the Middlesex United Way Young Leaders Society and Executive Assistant at Wright-Pierce in Middletown.
Meg volunteers in many capacities, including as chairwoman of the CT Section AWWA Water for People Fundraising Committee, of which she has been a member since 2006. She is also a Girl Scout Troop Leader and Service Unit Cookie Manager and chairs the Middlesex United Way campaign at her office. In 2014, she was named Middlesex United Way "Coordinator of the Year." She doesn’t often have spare minutes, but when she does, she fills those, too, by playing board games with friends.
She resides in East Hampton with her husband Scott, her daughter Moira, and their 4 guinea pigs.
Toral Maher is the past chair of the Middlesex United Way Young Leaders Society, and she is a program officer at Liberty Bank Foundation.
She serves on the Board of Directors for Middlesex United Way, and she volunteers with the Middletown Community Thanksgiving Project and the Credit for Life Fair of Southeastern Connecticut Planning Committee. She has a bachelor’s degree in sociology from Quinnipiac University and a master’s degree in education from the University of New Haven. She has been a Liberty Bank employee for 9 years.
She resides in Old Saybrook with her husband Samir and their 1-year-old daughter Aryana.
The Young Leaders Society has two volunteer-driven subcommittees which meet monthly by phone. New members are welcome. If you are interested in joining a subcommittee, please contact Amanda Furlong.
- Events Subcommittee: The Events Subcommittee handles events logistics and details for the Young Leaders Society’s monthly events.
- Membership & Communications: The Membership & Communications Subcommittee handles retention and recruitment of volunteers as well as outreach.