Two Types of Free Tax Help:
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA). This service is available for households earning up to $54,000. Learn more below.
- Prepare your taxes at myfreetaxes.com. This tool is offered by United Ways and H&R Block and is free if your household income is less than $62,000. Get started at www.myfreetaxes.com.
What is Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)?
VITA is a nationwide program of the U.S. Internal Revenue Service that:
- Trains and certifies volunteers to offer free tax preparation to taxpayers with household incomes below about $54,000.
- Works with taxpayers to fill out returns and file them electronically, all at no cost.
- Provides quick refunds and credit payments to taxpayers through their bank accounts.
Why Should I Use a VITA Site?
When you have your tax return prepared through VITA:
- Make an appointment easily calling United Way 2-1-1 or visiting 211ct.org, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Have your taxes prepared on an evening or a Saturday in a convenient downtown Middletown location (two locations - Middlesex United Way office and North End Action Team).
- You will be helped by specially trained preparers to receive all refunds and credits that you've earned – like the federal and state Earned Income Tax Credit, or EITC.
- Do NOT pay the preparation fees charged by commercial tax preparers – typically over $100 and often over $150.
- Quickly receive money due to you from the IRS, without having to take out high-interest loans from a commercial tax preparer.
To make an appointment for free tax preparation, dial 2-1-1 or visit 211ct.org.
- Are trained and certified in evening sessions in January run by skilled instructors.
- Come from a variety of occupations and include retired persons.
- Need no prior qualifications except to be comfortable using a computer. Returns are filled out and filed by computer.
- Work in small teams, led by trained coordinators.
- Typically put in a shift of three to four hours once a week over 10 to 12 weeks, either in the late afternoon and evening or on a Saturday.
To volunteer, contact Nancy Meyers at firstname.lastname@example.org.