- 100% of Middlesex County towns have early childhood collaboratives, providing resources to parents and teachers of preschoolers and ensuring kids are socially and emotionally ready to succeed in kindergarten
- 10 Born Learning Trails in Middlesex County encourage outdoor activity and learning
- 106 Middletown preschoolers with social and emotional concerns received consultation to prepare them for kindergarten last year
Middlesex United Way envisions a community where students succeed academically.
- Children are ready to learn by school entry
- Children are reading at grade level by the end of 3rd grade
- Students are college or career ready when they exit high school
Middlesex United Way focuses on:
- School readiness
- Parent education
- Family literacy
Along with our partners, Middlesex United Way's school readiness initiative is working with school systems, early childcare providers, and parents throughout Middlesex County to identify and assist our youngest children who have social and emotional problems before they enter school.
We support programs that assist young children to become school ready and also educate their parents about the important role they play in their child's earliest years. We are currently working with schools in all fifteen of the towns in Middlesex County.
United Way is also a national partner in the Born Learning initiative. Born Learning provides simple activities and ideas to create learning opportunities throughout the day with your child. One of the key tools of Born Learning are the trails, which can be installed in any public setting. Click here to find a Born Learning Trail in Middlesex County.
How You Can Help:
- Clinton Board of Education - Best Beginnings
- Cromwell Board of Education – Early Childhood/School Readiness Council
- East Haddam Youth & Family Services – Early Childhood Council
- East Hampton Board of Education - Early Links Program
- Literacy Volunteers Valley Shore - Training & Support of Tutors
- Middletown Adult Education - Even Start Family Literacy Program
- Middlesex Hospital - Opportunity Knocks
- Old Saybrook Youth & Family Services - Early Childhood Council
- Portland Youth Services - Early Childhood Council
- Regional School District #13 (Durham-Middlefield) – School Readiness
- Tri Town Youth Services/Regional School District #4 (Chester, Deep River, Essex) - Early Childhood Council
- Westbrook Public Schools - Early Childhood Council/ School Readiness
- Youth & Family Services of Haddam-Killingworth - Early Childhood Council