Middlesex United Way envisions a community where individuals and families are healthy and safe, and youth and adults avoid risky behaviors.
- Individuals and families access services and resources for their behavioral, physical, and oral health needs
- Individuals and families who access services successfully manage their daily living activities
- Youth and adults refrain from substance abuse and other risky and unhealthy behaviors
- Youth and adults develop skills needed to lead a positive and productive life
Middlesex United Way focuses on:
- Positive youth development
- Personal safety
- Support for seniors
- Substance abuse prevention & treatment
- Mental health services
- Services for individuals with disabilities
Middlesex United Way is partnering with Youth and Family Service organizations in Middlesex County to implement the Healthy Communities-Healthy Youth assets model in their towns. The approach increases young people's participation in their local communities and results in reduced high-risk behaviors, especially the use of drugs and alcohol. Healthy Communities-Healthy Youth (HCHY) is a national initiative from the Search Institute in 1996 to support communities that are engaging multiple sectors to build Developmental Assets in young people.
We are also ensuring that heath and wellness services are available, including mental health services, counseling, substance abuse services, sexual assault crisis services, programs that help adults with disabilities thrive, and services to assist seniors so they may continue living at home.
A sample of our impact from the past five years:
- Youth substance abuse has decreased 25% in Middlesex County, thanks to our partnership with the Healthy Communities-Healthy Youth Initiative and Youth Services Bureaus in 13 Middlesex County towns.
- More than 10,700 people received intensive mental health and substance abuse treatment, thanks to our work with partners like Child & Family Agency of Southeastern CT, The Connection, and Gilead Community Services.
To reduce the rate of risky behaviors among youth and adults, we partner with:
- Boy Scouts, CT Rivers Council - Comprehensive Youth Development Program
- Clinton Youth & Family Services - Healthy Communities-Healthy Youth
- Durham-Middlefield Youth & Family Services - Healthy Communities-Healthy Youth
- East Haddam Youth & Family Services - Healthy Communities-Healthy Youth
- Girl Scouts of Connecticut, Inc. - The Girl Scout Leadership Experience
- Middlesex YMCA - Kids Korner Before and After School Programs and Summer Enrichment Program
- Middletown Youth Services Bureau - Healthy Communities-Healthy Youth
- Oddfellows Playhouse - Children’s Circus
- Old Saybrook Youth & Family Services - Assets in Action
- Portland Youth Services - Healthy Communities-Healthy Youth
- Rushford - Mental Health First Aid
- Tri-Town Youth Services (Chester, Deep River, Essex) - Healthy Communities-Healthy Youth
- Westbrook Public Schools - Healthy Communities-Healthy Youth
- Youth & Family Services of Haddam-Killingworth - Healthy Communities-Healthy Youth
To improve the health and increase the safety of individuals and families, we partner with:
- Child & Family Agency of Southeastern CT - Child & Family Mental Health Services
- The Connection, Inc. - Counseling Center
- Gilead Community Services - Outpatient Services
- MARC: Community Resources - Skill Development, Leisure Services, Outreach and Advocacy
- Middlesex Hospital - Perinatal Program
- Rushford - Early Intervention Program
- St. Luke's Community Services - Gatekeepers Program
- Women & Families Center - Sexual Assault Crisis Services